Wednesday, October 29, 2008

This Child is NOT a Vegan...

I (Zeena) write at the end of the DAY 5 of Zaleeya's homecoming. She is asleep, in her own crib, hoping this will last to at least 5am. Please hope with us.

I think many people reading this blog have enjoyed it due to our openness and candid reflection of this process, therefore I will continue to be honest. The last few days have been tough, but luckily things are finally paying off. It's amazing what a little sleep will do for everyone!

After a few fitful nights of sleep, we decided to move me into Zaleeya's room to sleep with her. We had been advised to "co-sleep", which means to put her in our bed, but we decided this was not the decision for us. Instead we aimed to get her comfy in her crib, and moving me into the room has made a major difference in the last two nights! Poor thing- we imagine it's been a bit scary for her to sleep in her own room. She is quite fitful and moves a lot in her sleep (still some head banging, which is normal) therefore it makes us ALL feel better that I'm nearby in case she wants comfort. The bonding between us if definitely beginning to form as she turns to me for comfort, and to daddy for good old fashion jungle gym play.

Our trip to the pediatrician on Monday was excellent. The only concern so far is her weight- she is only 15.5 lbs! So much to the dismay of her gluten free, dairy free fishatarian mother, this child's diet consists of cheese, butter and dark meat chicken. Crazy! She has a pretty healthy appetite and in fact SCREAMS when she doesn't get her food in time, so feeding her hasn't been too much of an issue. Messy.... but I've discovered that messy is now my middle name.

I must admit, I still have feelings of "what have I done to my life!!" Her tantrums are quite shocking- she loves to flail her body all over and down right scare both her her parents, but over the last few days we've figured out what some of the cries mean. Usually a diaper change and a feeding will suffice. Luckily her smiles have begun to melt both of our hearts and her personality is emerging. She loves to dance, has hot feet syndrome like her mother and never keeps her socks on, and still loves to chase Ziggy. She always crawls with a toy in her hand and her standing is getting stronger every day. She started to really babble today and learned how to wave goodbye. It is still quite funny though to compare her to children her own age (like the pic with her new playmate Daniel born 3 days after her), she is so tiny! It's like she's gone from newborn to toddler in one week!

I got my first comment today from someone who said "she's tiny just like her mother!". I was more surprised as the assumption that I'm tiny (I'm 5'8") versus the assumption she is made from my genes.

I sign off now since I just found my poor husband asleep on the couch. Time for us all to go to bed! Thank you to everyone for the continued support of our new family.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm. Where to start... I have ten thoughts for you...

1. I opened a bottle of wine and started reading through ALL of the last two months of comments over an hour ago. Now it's after midnight and I have to open a second bottle in order to write these comments

2. What the heck? We miss ONE trip down behind the Orange Curtain and now you've got a child?

3. All the comments from your friends and family have been very kind and loving and supportive. You've obviously been in need of me to come in and lay a diaper load in the joint. Just so it's fair and balanced in here.

4. Okay, fine. She's cute. Very. And she's a very lucky little girl to have you guys - and a dog that hasn't bitten her... yet... I warn you that if she comes and pulls my tail she's gettin' nipped!

5. How is it that you were the darkest people in India? Most of those peeps in the photos make ME look like I'm from the subcontinent. Are you sure you didn't just go to Indiana?

6. What a bummer about the Angels and Dodgers. At least you didn't miss out on the World Series by being in Indiana...

7. Being a lifelong baseball fan, I was curious about cricket when I happened upon a match (scrum? game? wallaby?) on the telly while in London over the new year. It took me awhile ((3 games) - and my wife was real happy that I watched 3 cricket games while in London -- but really how many times can you look at that damn big clock) but I finally picked up the basic scoring rules and found it quite curious. I also found it very interesting that Papa Hamir spent his teen years dealing/playing with a sticky wicket. I never competed in cricket, but i was a teen so i TOTALLY understand...

8. That was a long way to go for that last joke, but I read 37 posts back-to-back-to-back, so I figured I owed you one.

9. Where is it mentioned in the posts that you caught an episode of Pamela Anderson's STACKED tv show while you were hanging out in Indiana? I got your text message from there but I think it may have just been a way to get me to read this blog. Well played, my friends, touche.

10. From now on I am going to use double Es instead of an I when I write. Not only in your names but in everyday life. Starting now - because ee can't be bothered to go back een thees post - there's not that much weene left. Boy weell people theenk of me as a mavereeck when ee spell bikiper and Tennessi thees way. Though "eerie" as "irie" weell be super cool.

10. Ee take that last post back.

10. Having seen Azeem's calm and cool with Zeena's beautiful wild and crazy zaniness all these years, I think he's been being prepared for Zaleeya's strongheadedness for a long long long time.

10. Wait, there were cocktails being imbibed by Muslims? If my reading of the Qu'ran is correct that is a no-no. I must report this to soon-to-be-President Barack as he is the US HMIC.

10. HMIC=Head Muslim in Charge.

10. Yes, I know I'm stuck on 10. But I don't want to go back on my promise of doing only 10 as in 10. Kind of like not taking federal funds for an election but getting so much more. It's still fair, just much more bothersome to the rest of the readers...

10. (on my last sip of wine from bottle #2...slow writer/fast drinker...) Congrats on the addition to the family, us Hollywoodians give big-ups to the newest brownie on the block. She can't be President as the Constitution is currently structured (the whole natural-born citizen thing), but given the amazingly wonderful parents and grandparents and family and friends and community around her, she will do us all proud.

Or I will kick her butt.

Much love,

Cory (and Riyoko, who really wants to claim nothing that I've written here except the nice things -- but she married me so HAHA it's on her too!)

xoxo

Peter and Nancy said...

Two of our three have a LOT of opinions about life (including Anya Rashi)! It's a bumpy ride, but pretty amazing anyway. :o) She is a tiny little peanut -- lots of overalls and stretch pants in her future, since the waists won't be small enough on other pants! Sleeping in her room is a great thing to do -- you're doing a fantastic job. :o)
-- Nancy

Julie & Patrick said...

"Tiny" seems to be the comment that we get most often too. I love hearing about the communication transformation that is happening. You are learning to understand each other! That is so fun. Hope you continue to get some good sleep and enjoy your new life

:)
Julie R

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Happy to hear that Zaleeya is starting to bond more with you...how enouraging. I am sure that sleeping in her room is providing much comfort and strengthing that bond. I love to see new pictures of her. She is absoutely adorable. Thanks for being so open with your feelings regarding the ups and downs of the adoption process. It is insightful to know what is coming our way. We have 2 sons, but have never had a little girl and this is our first adoption. I am taking lots of notes from all the blogs :-)

April #6 waiting for Alesha

Rajni said...

Very beautiful.

Before making this comment, I was waiting to see Zaleeya's more pics and personality. And now I am confident, the very first time we watched Zaleeya's videos and pics, me and my husband screamed that she totally looks like her Mom. It is fascinating.

How tall is Zaleeya? She looks very tall to me just like her Mom.

Fenwick 5 said...

Cute pictures,sounds like everyone is adjusting.It is good that u are being straight up honest about the adoption process.It helps us who are waiting to know more of what is normal about the adoption adventure! Your daughter gets cuter every post!Gidget

Valerie said...

I'm sorry I've been so out of touch. I'm here in NY trying to give birth to a store (not NEARLY as hard or rewarding as what you two have done), but It's pretty stressy. Im up at 2:00 am catching up on your blog. As busy as I've been these last two months, I've been with you guys in my heart (and with your blog) every step of the way. I love you both and miss you so much. I can't wait to meet the new kid on the block!

Heather said...

I would like to subscribe to Cory's blog, please! Still laughing...