Monday, October 13, 2008

The Day Zeena Went Down

Yeah, so, they all warn you. Don’t get sick in India! Don’t drink the water, only eat in nice restaurants, don’t eat fruits or veggies, etc etc. Well I followed all the rules, but still got a little bug. Well not exactly little, enough to knock me over for over 24 hours. Please don’t order Malai Kofta from Nero’s restaurant in Jaipur.

The night before our flight to New Delhi I started to get feverish. I took some Tylenol but a few hours later the symptoms got worse, and let’s just say it took the maximum dosages of Tylenol and Immodium to get me on the plane to Delhi the next morning! All blog entries about the pleasantries of flying in India are now retracted, because the Jaipur airport was a bit of a nightmare (smaller airport) and combined with my illness, the trip was tough. Once in Delhi though we checked into our super nice room and I slept, and drugged myself up, and slept. I didn’t emerge from the room until this morning after Azeem arrived to our room. YES! Azeem is here!

I write about this because it’s part of the experience. The lesson learned is two-fold: don’t get overconfident, and ALWAYS travel with Tylenol and Immodium. Instead of posting pictures of me sleeping in a bed, I decided to litter the blog entry with all my favorite beautiful pictures in India. The first sunset is from Yasmin’s place, the second from our hotel in Mumbai, and the third from our hotel here in Delhi. The pool shot is in Jaipur.

A few hours after Azeem got here today we went to the US embassy to file Zaleeya’s visa forms. We arrived in our taxi to find the embassy CLOSED. After watching and being careful about all the Indian holidays, we forgot today is COLUMBUS DAY. Hilarous! Luckily we have 2 more days here so it won’t be an issue, but alas we all got a good chuckle out of this one. I can see Tami (our amazing adoption coordinator from Dillon) rolling over in her sleep as I type.

Anyhow hopefully tomorrow I can join the men and gallivant a bit in Delhi and see the town. We pick up Zaleeya a week from today!

9 comments:

The Labontes said...

Glad you are feeling better. Glad you were able to tough out the flight to New Delhi.
Kristy

Rajni said...

Zeena

I think, you have been holding up pretty good until now with your health, most likely it’s the change of weather and traveling stress. I remember during my first visit to India, this visit was only year and half later from the time I came to the USA(I am born and raised in India), I got sick right after I got off the airplane in Delhi and had such bad throat as if I lost my original voice and this continued during my entire stay.

Get well soon.

On a separate note, can you get the visa done without passport? Did you get the passport for Zaleeya?

I remember, Dillion's mentioning that first we need to pick up the baby and collect passport and the paperwork in Kolkatta and then head to Delhi to get Visa stamped. Can you please walk us thought this part of you journey?
I think things have changed since then.

Julie & Patrick said...

Glad you are back amongst the living :)

Now that your trip is changing gears...can't wait to hear more about your union with your baby girl!

Julie R

Rajni said...

Zeena

Tami e-mailed our travel packet today, this explains everything regarding planning trip to India.

Just curious to know, if you will have Visa stamped in Delhi first then go to Kolkatta to pick up Zaleeya ( you would get passport there) and directly be back in the USA.

LAsgirlknowledge said...

Zeena, so sorry you have been so ill. I'm so glad you are uphill from here. I think about you all often and try to remember to check your blog regularly.

I love the pic of your feet by the pool, reminds me of St. Maarten. Wow, can you believe it has been almost one year? So much has changed, and for the better! ;) Take care of yourself so you're healthly when you see Zaleeya!!! Love, Leigh Ann and John

Amy said...

So sorry you got sick! Great advice for all those future travelers though....

FarahlivefromKabul said...

Heyyy sorry you were sick, but glad you are better. Rest up, and drink lots of water. I'm there in t-minus 24 hours and can't wait to see you guys.

Pray I make it through today!

xoxo

Peter and Nancy said...

What a bummer -- I'm glad you're mending. Thank heaven for Immodium!

I'm glad Azeem is with you now. Probably makes the first meeting with Zaleeya seem like a reality.

Enjoy your sightseeing! Delhi is such an incredible city . . . I can't wait to see your photos. Too funny about Columbus Day, when you've been tracking every Indian holiday. :o)

-- Nancy

Anonymous said...

Zeena -- glad to hear you are feeling better and that Azeem made it!

It's countdown! Can't wait to see her in your arms!

Love you guys,

Beth :-)