Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Little Z's BIG First Day

I (Zeena) am going to try to be specific on this blog entry- particularly for those first time moms who intend to go through this process at some point. I will admit it's been quite stressful on many levels. My first thought when we brought her back to our room was "What have we done! We have no idea what we are doing!". I think Azeem has settled into parenthood emotionally faster than myself.


For the first few hours all she did was cry. She wouldn't even look us in the face for fear of realizing she had not idea who we are. Finally after a few hours she latched on to a toy, ate a few bites and relaxed just a bit. In fact we saw a little smiling when we played some music and she moved to the beat. A dancer we think!

Around 9pm last night she took most of her bottle and actually fell asleep and slept for 12 FULL hours! It was crazy. We actually had to wake her up in the morning. Today has been better. The winy crying has reduced, she ate a full day full of meals, pooped twice (I think this is normal??) and smiled a lot more. It's like watching a turtle emerge from a shell. Every once in a while she looks at me and grabs at certain features, like she is learning my face. Other times she grabs on super tight as has no desire to look at who she is grabbing on to. We can literally see her grieving in front of our eyes. We got a good taste of this grief at dinner tonight when she WAILED uncontrollably, while mommy cried with her. I must say we feel quite responsible for her grief- taking her from her home she knows and loves. But then she smiles and we realize that this is part of the bonding process. It's quite amazing.


By the way, there is some wonderful shopping in this area around our hotel (The Kenilworth). Pantaloons is amazing for kids stuff! We got 20 items (clothes/ diapers) for equivalent of $100. So I recommend to any Dillon mom to wait to do major shopping until you get here. We put her in the baby bjorn and it made for a good adventure. Easy 7 min walk away- though it is the streets of India so walk carefully!


We're including as many pics as possible. I need to sign off now as I'm exhausted. I am beginning to understand this whole "tired mother" thing.

PS We got the visa thing done. It was quite easy as the paperwork from Delhi arrived quickly. She is ready to go home! We will wait until Friday though- we feel we all need the adjustment time.

12 comments:

Kristi W. said...

I'm so glad things are going better and you have seen some smiles and glimpses of her personality. Sounds like you two are naturals at the parenting thing! :) Love the pics!

Kristi W.

Amy said...

I am glad that things are better. You both seem like you are doing what she needs right now - comforting and loving her. All of the pics are beautiful!

Amy T (waiting on NOC for Neon)

Shad and Maggie Alsworth said...

Wow!! I'm speechless... I am loving your journey! You have some great pics and will be able to treasure this time as she grows! Zaleeya is so beautiful!! I'm glad that she is starting to bond with you! Parenting in the most rewarding journey you can take!

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Sounds like things are getting better. Zaleeya is so adorable!!! She has a precious smile. From the pictures it looks like you have the parenting thing down pretty good. I am enjoying following your journey.

April (#7 waiting for Alesha)

Peter and Nancy said...

Every single parent I know has had that thought -- "WHAT have we done?! Now what do we do?!" -- no matter if they were leaving the hospital or the orphanage. :o) You have lots of company! It's terrific that she's warming up already . . . you must be doing a good job helping her feel secure.
-- Nancy

Candice said...

Thank you for sharing your emotional journey with us as well as your physical one. The thought of my child grieving is probably one of the things that has occupied my mind the most. I'm glad to know that you are seeing Zaleeya beginning to bond with you!

Candice (soon to be mom to Utsab)

The Labontes said...

Glad to see that smiley picture in there. She is beautiful, and you're right, she does look long and skinny in that bed picture.

I'm sure every day will get easier for you!
Kristy

Karen said...

Congratulations on that first day together! It sounds like she's doing great ... and so are you! :) She is such a beauty. I love her little smile!

Karen W., Jenya's mom

LAsgirlknowledge said...

Congratulations guys! You have accomplished so much and I know this has been a long journey for you. What a blessing. Just keep in mind that the grieving she's going through is very temporary. You have many joyous years ahead of you and she will appreciate you both for being such wonderful parents. I'm very proud of you two.

Julie & Patrick said...

Everything you are commenting about brings back the memories of having those same feelings when we were in your place. By all accounts, it sounds like you all are making great strides.

Zaleeya is a darling little sweet pea! Love all the pictures

:) Julie R - Devi's mom

ColleenC said...

Aww, love the pics, you can just see her personality starting to emerge! Oh and I echo Nancy's comment- both times I was handed little wailing babies I wondered what in the world I was thinking and how would I ever be able to take care of them! You guys are doing a fabulous job and she looks sooo sweet!

Rajni said...

I loved all your pics but "the Mommy daughter sleeping together" is awesome.

It is so cool to read your experiences being new parents.

You both are doing a great job.