Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's in a NAME?

A few people have asked about the name of our daughter. I (Zeena) thought I'd quickly post an entry.

The children are given names at the Orphanage and ours was "Pratima" which is sanskrit for "Image, Idol". Most adoptive parents rename their children once they are brought home.

Obviously we have decided to name ours "Zaleeya" which is an arabic name meaning "Strong, Knowledgeable". We changed the spelling a bit to make it easy to pronounce. Also because both of our names are usually spelled with an "I" instead of two "E's". Our parents were obviously on the same page by adding the "E's" and we decided to pass this tradition along.

We love it and we hope you do too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Darling Zeena,
Kim Uli just sent me the email, as we (our Pilates group) have been thinking so much about you! And, all this news! What a lucky little girl to get to live in a family such as yours! I have enjoyed your blog and will forward it on to the girls! All of our best wishes for a successful journey. And, what a beautiful daughter you have. The video made me cry!
We think of you often, and always with love,
Cheryl (Ticketmaster fka Paciolan)

Peter and Nancy said...

Oooh, Zeena -- she is so beautiful! Thanks for posting your blog on the Dillon Forum . . . I can't wait to live vicariously through you as you travel. :o)

About the new parent jitters -- I had them for my (bio) sons, and a whole new set of them for Anya Rashi. You probably won't have to sterilize your bottles, but do make sure to wash them with bottled water. :o) That's my only wisdom to pass along!

I'm so thrilled that you're this close to meeting your gorgeous girl!
-- Nancy

Kristi W. said...

I love the double E's! You must be about to burst - leaving in two days!!! :) I hope you are able to keep us filled in on this blog, us desperate blog stalkers!!! Ha!

Kristi W.

Unknown said...

Zeena and Azeem,

This is wonderful news and we are so excited about bringing Zaleeya home. I love the name you chose, great choice.

As far as jitters go, they don't go away even when the children get married. However, you'll know exactly what to do once she is in your arms. Lovey,

Nina and Gafoor

Anonymous said...

Hi Zeena,

My name is Zaleeya, and I live in Calgary, Alberta! I just came across this blog recently as I was doing an identity project for school and was discussing my name and how its spelling is quite unique!
Anyways, I hope you and you're family are doing well and that your daughter Zaleeya grows up to be very knowledgeable, strong and skillful!

-Zaleeya :)