Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Sights and Sounds of Mumbai!

It’s been exactly 24 hours now, and what a whirlwind! I am staying here in Mumbai with my dear friend Yasmin, who is a fantastic personal trainer and Pilates instructor here. Yasmin stayed with us two years ago in Irvine while she was completing her Pilates certification and has been begging me to come to India ever since.

My initial impressive of the airport was positive- immigration was quick and our bags came out faster than LAX. However it was weird looking around at all the Indian faces and feeling so personally different from all of them. I actually related more to the few white women! It’s amazing to me that’s it’s taken me 35 years to get here.

Yasmin’s family all have drivers and immediately after getting in the car (with no seatbelts!) I realized this whole car riding thing was going to have to be a leap of faith. The driving is crazy (and apparently better than Dehli or Kolkata) and there are bikes, pedestrians, and “autorickshaws” to avoid. I’ve decided that looking out the side window and not paying attention to the chaos ahead is the best strategy for me. The drivers seem to know what they are doing.


Yasmin’s apartment is close to the sea with beautiful views and comfortable accommodations. I've littered this post with pics. After a decent night’s sleep I woke up to her cook Ramu making me breakfast (they won’t even let me clear the plates!) and headed over to her gym. Her personal training/ Pilates studio is filled with people avoiding each other everywhere- a common theme I’m discovering in India. Too many people!

In the afternoon we met her friend Simrin from Hong Kong who took me to a few stores for shopping. It was overwhelming! I picked up a few things and got my feet wet in the shopping experience. I am struggling a bit with the currency conversion (47 rupees to 1 dollar). I have to remind myself that a 500r note is only $10!

Later Simrin left me to my own devices with the driver who took me to get my waxing and nails done (everything under $15!). I must admit I was a little nervous to be out in the open, feeling so “American”. Though in time I think these feelings will calm down. There is poverty, dirt, stray dogs, goats and people everywhere. It’s surreal as I feel like I’m in National Geographic.

In the evening we went to downtown Mumbai to Yasmin’s family to celebrate “Eid” which is the end of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan. I got to witness a traditional “thal” dinner where everyone eats off one plate. I’m noticing that people aren’t quite as polite as we are in America, but there is still plenty of warmth from everyone. I find myself saying “please” and “sorry” and “thank you” way more than anyone else. And my accent sticks out like a sore thumb. It’s definitely a cultural adjustment.

Now I’m snuggling back into my room and I look forward to a new day. I’m glad to have the first 24 hour jitters behind me.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Glad you made the trip safe and sane. (Well, safe anyway.) Yasmin's place is beautiful! Say hi for me and can't wait to read more of the adventures.

Ai-Vy said...

WOW...reading your experiences makes me wish I was there! I'm glad you made it safely and keep sending us updates because I love reading them! We miss you!

Unknown said...

Ah, I remember those feelings.. the first visit to India is so overwhelming! I can't wait to get to India this weekend and be overwhelmed all over again!
We will be leaving Kolkata on the evening of the 17th, so I think we are going to miss you and your husband. :( If you get to Kolkata any earlier, please look us up at the ITC Sonar. We'll hug your baby for you on the 15th!!

Kristi W. said...

Great descriptions! One of these trips I'll make it to Mumbai. Keep the pics coming! :)

Kristi W.